September 19, 2011

Money Monday

I've been thinking a lot about my money lately. Two reasons:

  • I just went from working full-time all summer to working part-time (3 days/wk) again.
  • I want to go to graduate school next fall if I don't have a steady position by then, so I need to start figuring out how to save now because I really want to focus more on interning than working.

I bank with Wells Fargo (I was with Wachovia and they switched, so I had no choice) and they have this awesome Money Map feature that tells you how your money is being spent. I got some shocking results. I spent $452.64 on retail in July. In July and August, I spent a total of $360.27 on restaurants. The past couple of months, I've spent more, $708.22 total, than I've made. I don't even want to talk about how little I have in savings.

Why am I telling you this? Two other reasons:

  • I want to discuss finances every week because I'm stepping my game up and I'll be learning a lot more about it. Welcome to Money Monday, guys!
  • I hope the possible embarrassment of other people knowing that I suck with money will help me do better.

My next paycheck will be my first with only three days. After that I'll know how much money I'm earning every month and I can make a budget.

Long term, I need to start thinking about life insurance and one day I might have a mortgage. Practice makes perfect, so it's time to start practicing. 

Any tips on how to make the most of my money?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I suck with money, too. We have used this thing on google docs to put together a budget. And I am done with shopping for a while, which gets easier after a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into Google Docs. I'm still figuring out how it works. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...