September 9, 2011

Accurate Disney Princess Representations

I love the Disney Princesses. I went to Disney World a couple of years ago and practically attacked Princess Tiana. Then I praised the performer for how awesome her character is. It was not my most mature moment. But I'm ashamed of nothing.

When I saw these representations of what the costumes would look like if Disney didn't just gloss over costume design in their animation, I went back to my short days as a costume design minor in college. The artist looked for clues in the films and historical information to figure out the time periods, so she could create looks that are more realistic.

I did some digging and the artist is Claire Hummel. She's a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design and officially one of my favorite people.

Snow White in 1500-1530 German period attire.
Pocahontas in 17th century Powhatan attire.
Cinderella dressed in an 1890s silhouette.
Jasmine in pre-Islamic Middle Eastern clothing.
Aurora (aka Sleeping Beauty) in a dress circa 1485.
Arielle in a 1890s dress inspired by her wedding dress from film.
Belle in 1770s French court attire.



For those of you who cannot get over the fact that Aurora wore pink:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...