April 8, 2011

Gainesville Fashion Week 2011: Thursday

I went to the I Am Still Music II tour on Wednesday (it was amazing, by the way), so I missed the art show on the first night, but I made the fashion show last night. I thought I'd be late because I was misinformed about the time and I was also rushing there after class, but I made it in just a few minutes before the first show. You can see some videos I did with my Blackberry after the jump.

They kicked things off with 1oz. The collection was definition of urban edginess, but it also pushed the boundaries. A model came down the runway in a pleated tennis skirt that was so short, the bottom of her derrière was showing and an exaggerated denim bubble skirt.

The next show was Mesh, a boutique located in downtown Gainesville. They showed last year and this year was much of the same. Trendy clothes with trendy styling. I enjoyed the show and I really love the boutique, but nothing really stood out. But that's a part of Mesh's charm--they show clothing that relates to everyone and that every woman in the room can wear.

Mesh was followed by Viscosity Vintage, an online (I'm not sure if they're selling yet) shop with great finds. It wasn't all technically vintage because vintage is from 1920 through 1980 (anything before that is referred to as "antique") and a significant portion of the garments seemed to be from the mid- to late-80s and early 90s. Incorrect characterization aside, it was one of the best shows of the night. There were a lot of shorts, a few form-fitting skirts (including a leopard-print skirt I loved) and blazers (a red one with black polka dots came down the runway and I almost snatched it off the model). The styling was unmatched by any of the other designers.

The emerging designers segment was very impressive. Francine Elizabeth gave a valiant effort, especially with a grey dress she sent down the runway, but the construction seemed rushed. Nikera Clothing was my favorite of the designers, featuring beautifully constructed blazers and bathing suits. Jafari Jahaghi's show was also notable. A black-and-white knee-length princess dress with an open back top took my breath away. She also sent a couple of mermaid silhouette wedding dresses down the runway.

I didn't see the last couple of shows, but I heard good things through the fashion grapevine. I had a headache and although I was able to talk to people (including the executive editor of JAYE who blogged about it, too) during the breaks in between shows, it also made it easy for my tired mind to use it as an excuse to leave.

See some videos after the jump.



1oz snippet video

I think this is Mesh, but I don't know for sure (sorry)

Viscosity Vintage-Part 1

Viscosity Vintage-Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...